- 5-6 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (use a mix of apples not all one type)
- 150-200 g (3/4-1 cup) sugar
- 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon juice
- 1.25 g (1/4 tsp) cinnamon
- .75 g (1/8 tsp) nutmeg
- 1.25 g (1/4 tsp) salt
- pinch of cayenne
- 28 g (2 tbls) of butter
- some cold milk for brushing the crust
- cinnamon sugar
Preheat oven to 220 C (425 F).
Prepare 1 recipe of basic pie crust
Mix apples, spices, salt, lemon juice and sugar in bowl. Spread mixture into pie crust. Break butter in pea sized pieces and spread on top of filling.
Place top crust on filled pie, crimp edges, and cut slits in top crust for vents, brush top crust with milk and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
Bake for 15-20 minutes on center rack with a baking sheet or foil on rack below to catch drips.
Reduce heat to 175 C (350 F) and bake 20 minutes more.
Remove pie from oven.
Let cool for 10-20 minutes.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or cheddar cheese wedge if you are from Wisconsin.
- Emma Watson, Noah movie
- Lady baking pie, Getty Images.